2013 Autumn Foliage Forecast for Major Mountains


Autumn in Korea

Korea is having slightly cooler weather, which means Autumn is here!

The Korea Meteorological Administration announced that this year’s fall foliage might arrive one to two days later compared to the past years (1982~2010).

The arrival of autumn and the timing of peak foliage are gradually getting pushed back every year as a consequence of warmer fall temperatures due to global warming. Seoraksan Mountain will have its first fall foliage beginning September 30, 2013. Jirisan Mountain and the central region are expecting fall colors to occur around October 4 to 16, while the southern region can expect leaves to change color around October 14 to 31.

Fall foliage usually peaks two weeks after they start to appear. Therefore, Jirisan Mountain and the central region can expect peak foliage towards the end of October, while peak foliage in the southern region is expected during early November.

The first fall foliage can be observed when 20% of the mountain is covered with autumn leaves starting from the top. At 80%, this is called its peak foliage.

2013 Fall Foliage Forecast for Korea’s Major Mountains


First fall foliage

Peak foliage

Seoraksan National Park (NaeSeorak)

Sept. 30

Oct. 18

Odaesan National Park

Oct. 4

Oct. 20

Bukhansan National Park

Oct. 16

Oct. 27

Chiaksan National Park

Oct. 9

Oct. 25

Woraksan National Park

Oct. 15

Oct. 27

Songnisan National Park

Oct. 16

Oct. 27

Gyeryongsan National Park

Oct. 16

Oct. 27

Palgonsan Natural Park

Oct. 19

Oct. 29

Gayasan National Park

Oct. 15

Nov. 1

Naejangsan National Park

Oct. 21

Nov. 6

Jirisan National Park

Oct. 11

Oct. 24

Mudeungsan National Park

Oct. 22

Nov. 6

Duryunsan Provincial Park

Oct. 31

Nov. 10

Hallasan National Park

Oct. 14

Oct. 27

※ Subject to change depending on the weather
Korea Meteorological Administration Homepage: http://www.kma.go.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)

Source: Korea Tourism Organisation

See also:
Korean Autumn Thanksgiving Festival 2013

3 thoughts on “2013 Autumn Foliage Forecast for Major Mountains

  1. Hi! I can’t seem to find a post for actual 2013 autumn colors for South Korea. Would you know if there were change of colors already during the first week of October in Seoraksan?

    • hi dan.
      I wasn’t in Seoraksan during Oct 2013 but it should have already be a change of colors. To enjoy the full foliage, it’s best to visit in mid-Oct. Do take note of the fall foliage forecast this year if you wish to see the peak foliage!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s